Reading Adventure Time is a teacher centric, student friendly app that includes activities and assessment to help students build reading skills. This OSEP funded app is FREE for anyone to use. The app provides activities that support reading improvements in speed, accuracy, and comprehension. Teachers may add multiple students to an account and track progress over time. The content is geared to support braille reading students in grades 1st -12th. An iPad or iPad mini and braille display are required (note that the app is not available for use on android devices or iPhones).
Instructions for installing the app on your iPad:
- Your iPad must be connected to wifi
- Open this email on your iPad
- Click on this link to find Reading Adventure Time https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id1390905454?mt=8
- If you have a previous version of Reading Adventure Time on your iPad please delete it before installing the new version
- Once you have installed the app you will need to sign up. Click sign up and answer the questions.
- After you have answered the questions you will receive an email from postmaster@BrailleApps.org Check your spam filter if you do not receive the email.
- At the very bottom of the email message, after the sincerely salutation you will see your unique teacher ID number.
- You will use your email as your user name and your teacher ID number to login.
- Once you have logged in you will begin on the Student Roster page. You will see Demo student. We recommend that you explore the app to familiarize yourself with the app before you start working with your students, using this demo profile.
- On the student roster page you can add students to your roster by clicking the add new student button and completing the demographics questionnaire.
You’re ready to go!
For the first 100 teachers and students who use the app regularly and complete 4 progress monitoring assessments (in the Reading Challenge activity, Sets A-D), participants will receive $100. That’s $100 for the student and $100 for the student (payable in a VISA gift card). To redeem the incentive, complete sets A-D of the Reading Challenge. You will receive a pop up message simply fill out the requested information and you and your student will receive a gift card for completing the 4 sets.
We will be hosting webinar training sessions on the following dates/times:
– Monday September 10, 1pm PCT, 2pmMT, 3pmCT, and 4pm ECT.
– Wednesday September 19, 2pm PCT, 3pmMT, 4pmCT, and 5pmECT.
– Wednesday September 26, 3pm PCT, 4pmMT, 5pmCT, and 6pmECT.
– Tuesday October 2, 1pm PCT, 2pmMT, 3pmCT, and 4pm ECT.
If you are interested in attending a training, please RSVP to Seanarae Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheryl Kamei-Hannan, Ph.D. Professor and Coordinator of the Education Specialist Credential in Visual Impairment and Blindness Division of Special Education and Counseling Charter College of Education California State University, Los Angeles 5151 State University Drive Los Angeles, CA 90032 323-343-6297 cherylkamei@Hotmail.com or email@example.com