Call for Expressions of Interest
Opportunity for young people to attend US Summer Camp
Blind Citizens Australia, (BCA), the national representative organisation of people who are blind or vision-impaired, is calling for expressions of interest from young people aged eighteen to twenty to attend the Enchanted Hills Summer Camp in California, USA.
Enchanted Hills Camp and Retreat (EHC) serves blind children, teens, adults, people who are deaf-blind, seniors, as well as families. Since 1950, Enchanted Hills has provided valuable opportunities for recreation in a fun, challenging and accessible way. Located on 311 acres on scenic Mt. Veeder, Enchanted Hills is just 10 miles west of Napa, California.
The experience of summer camp holds countless opportunities for enjoyment and learning in many a young person’s life. Whether it’s exploring a trail in the woods or creating a skit as a team to perform in front of an audience, camp provides a wealth of structured and unrestricted moments that contribute to socialization, growth and development.
For further information about Enchanted Hills Camp visit: http://lighthouse-sf.org/enchanted-hills/about-enchanted-hills/
As part of its commitment to providing opportunities for young people who are blind or vision impaired, Blind Citizens Australia is looking to send 6 Aussie teens to participate in the Teen session at Enchanted Hills this July 2018.
What will Happen?
Supported by 2 Australian’s who will be working at EHC for the summer, as well as the rest of the EHC staff you will:
- Fly from Sydney to San Francisco, California and take a shuttle to Napa, California where you will be met by EHC Staff.
- Arrive the day before the EHC Teen Camp is due to begin to give you a chance to settle in.
- Be provided with all of your meals and accommodation during the camp and the ability to participate in all camp activities.
- Take the shuttle back to San Francisco and fly home to Sydney on approximately the 29th July;
Who Can Participate?
We are seeking participants aged 18-20 from across Australia. If you would like to participate in this amazing opportunity, you must:
- Be aged between 18-20 at the time of travel and have the ability to travel independently with minimal support
- Have a valid passport and be eligible to travel to the USA
- Have adequate travel insurance
- Be willing to participate in BCA promotional activities upon your return and share your experience with others
- Be available to travel from Sydney on the 17th July 2018 and return on the 31st July 2018. (Travel to and from Sydney International Airport will be the responsibility of each participant)
- Be a member of Blind Citizens Australia or willing to join the organisation by visiting www.bca.org.au and completing the online membership form or by calling 1800033660.
BCA will provide financial support to members who reside in NSW or the ACT through the NSW/ACT state division. This will cover the cost of flights and camp fees. (The cost of passports, travel insurance and travel to and from Sydney International Airport will be the responsibility of the individual).
For members residing in other states, staff from BCA will work with you to seek financial support from other organisations
How to Express Interest
If you would like to participate in this unique opportunity, please send an expression of interest to BCA Project Officer Sally Aurisch at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm on the 30th April 2018,
Your expression of interest should include:
- Why you would like to attend EHC
- How you think attending this camp may support you in your independence, education or employment
- How you feel you may be able to support BCA in its endeavours to improve the lives of teens and young adults who are blind or vision impaired
If you have any questions, please call 1800 033660 or E-mail email@example.com.